Welcome to our world of insantity.

Here you can read about the trials and tribulations of being a full time stay at home mom, wife and caregiver to my best friend in the world, my Grandmother. Gran has alzheimers, dementia, and parkinsons. Be sure to stop by often..you never know what kind of stories you will read here! Also check out my Stitching blog to see how I keep my insanity!


Sunday, September 30, 2007

No Food

It has been over 24 hours since Gran last ate. Last night she ate about 2 bites of my burger from Hooters. We don't even buy her whole meals anymore..I just share mine. Tonight I asked her if I went to Chick Filet and got her a chicken sandwich and slaw if she would eat it? Her face lit up like a child's at Christmas and she was very enthusied with her "yes" answer. I gave her a dose of pain medicine for her head..she said it was hurting and I darted out the door to Chick Filet. I had to take the kids to the skating rink first of course. When I got home, Gran had dozed off so I woke her. I could NOT for the life of me convince her to eat just 1 bite. Her sandwich and slaw are both in the fridge. Maybe my uncle can talk her into it. Shawn (DH) even offered to get her a shake or apple pie from McDonalds on the way back from getting the kids at the rink. She told him no. She just doesn't want anything. My uncle did get her to drink about 3 sips of water and I just got her to drink 6 ounces myself. Other than that...nothing. She surely can not sustain life much longer like this. Her poor body is skin and bones and it breaks my heart. I feel all I can do is wait for her to make her transition to the other side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dad passed on of malignant melanoma and he had senile dementia also. This is what we did with him but I expect you might be outraged, although this is not my intent, I swear. I have a relative with a marijuana smoking habit (I DO NOT) and he gave my dad a puff off of a marijuana cigarette one day. Dad had always liked to smoke tobacco but he had quit years ago. Dad's mind was so messed up, he did not really know where or "when" he was and he was in a lot of pain and was not eating. The marijuana perked him up and he drank three cans of chocolate Ensure when we had not be able to get him to eat anything in a couple days. It eased his pain, stimulated his appetite and allowed him to live another couple months.
You will probably think this is awful but it helped a dying man and I don't care if it was illegal.